This was probably one of the craziest things I have done. First, let me tell you the story behind the table. Last year, right before we started house hunting, my ex boss and friend from when I was a nanny asked me if I wanted some of her (two or three-year old) furniture. She had decided to change some of it and….come on! Free furniture? I had a nice dining table, but I liked hers better since it had more character.
We moved into our house and guess what? I did not like the look of the table in here. Over the weeks and after pinning a few ideas on my pinterest board, I decided to paint the table white!
Here the step by step…It was super easy!
- First I went to Michael’s with my 40% coupons and bought the paint. I used Americana Decor in everlasting color. I used 3 for the whole table.
- Then, I lightly sanded the entire table with a fine sand paper.
- I gave the table 3 coats and let it dry for 1 hour in between coats.
- I also lightly sanded it in between coats.
- The best part is distressing. I used different weights of sand paper to distress it in the edges and joints.
- I let the table cure for 24 hours before I apply the protective finish. i read a few blogs about finishing and honestly, I was not going to re wax my table every few months, so I decided to go with the water based polycrylic.
- I gave it 3 coats of polycrylic, letting it cure 1 hour and sanding it in between coats.
- I finally let it cure for 2 days before I used it.
- After a few weeks, I decided to wax it to give it that smooth finish I wanted it at the beginning.
Just make sure to use wax as the last step. If you are using polycrylic and wax together, wax must be last!
Enjoying painting your furniture, explore new things, and have fun!